Join the Transylvania Farmers’ Market for Summerfest for Kids!
The morning’s free event includes:
• Fire Truck Tours by Brevard Fire Department
• FREE Face Painting by Isa of Face Painting WNC
• Interactive Music for Kids by Paul Helou
Award-winning singer/guitarist Paul Helou plays original and traditional songs for children, creating a fun, interactive musical experience that blends storytelling, movement and improv. Paul’s CD of original songs, Bears, Bees & Butterflies, has won a Parents’ Choice Award, among others. With Paul, you’re not just an audience member, you’re a co-creator — come make up a song and dance! Fun for the whole family. For more information, visit www.paulhelou.com
• Stop by the Market Info Booth to and see if you can guess the Mystery Veggies
• Participate in a Scavenger Hunt around the market… and win a delicious prize when you complete it!
• Hula hoop, jump rope, create a chalk masterpiece, enjoy breakfast, and shop with lots of local products from great vendors
• Plus… LIVE MUSIC by Rhiannon & The Relics
Child prodigies add novelty to most musical performances. But it’s even more awe-inspiring to see a recently minted human play traditional music as old as the Appalachian towns from whence it came. At age 16, (she began playing at 6) Rhiannon Ramsey is doing just that — fiddling alongside local string band veterans who make up the Relics: Craig Bannerman (bass), Troy Harrison (banjo, guitar, mandolin, vocals), Scott Owenby (guitar, vocals), Brandon Johnson (mandolin, vocals). Her musicianship and comfort onstage, however, convey anything but newness. Instead, the Arvil Freeman protégé and her bandmates settle into their mountain-made tunes with ease. Rhiannon recently started a new chapter in her fiddling endeavors, replacing Arvil Freeman as the fiddler for the Stoney Creek Boys, the house band for Shindig on the Green, the Friday night barn dances in Montreat. Rhiannon lives on her family farm in Madison Co., NC.