To generate and enhance tourism opportunities in Transylvania County through strategic promotion coordinated with tourism-related businesses and local government, and to contribute to a vibrant, sustainable economy.
To position Transylvania County as a desirable four-season destination for those seeking an authentic leisure experience that makes the most of the county’s abundant natural resources and unique cultural opportunities; to elevate tourism as a viable and significant contributor to Transylvania County’s economic, social and cultural well-being; and to support the conservation and enhancement of our natural resources.
There are various ways the Transylvania County Tourism Development Authority accomplishes its mission, with direct marketing and promotion of Transylvania County as the primary tactic. However, there are a number of initiatives, like the tourism grant program, that play an important role as well. The goal with this program is to maximize the impact of TCTDA funds by supporting local individuals and organizations with events or initiatives that positively affect the local tourism economy.
The following criteria will be used as a basis for evaluating and awarding grants:
- The extent to which the requested funding results in visitors to Transylvania County, with overnight visitors as a first priority and day visitors as a second.
- The extent to which it results in visitor impact during off-peak times with highest priority given to the time of year with the lowest demand.
- Slow season: December thru March
- Shoulder season: April/May (until Memorial), September (after Labor), and November
- Peak season: Memorial Day Weekend thru Labor Day Weekend, plus October
- Strong preference is given to grant requests supporting new or substantially changed events/initiatives.
- Preference is placed on grant dollars that are directly attributable to marketing and promotion.
- Preference is given to requests that include marketing and promotion outside of Transylvania County.
- The extent to which it enhances the experience of visitors, resulting in return visits and new visitors through word-of-mouth.
- The extent to which it matches the TCT mission and Transylvania’s local brand.
- The extent to which it shows sustainability.
- Preference is given to requests that include other partners.
*Based on a desire to support new and sustainable events/initiatives, repeat annual requests with no significant innovations will be evaluated even more strictly based on the above criteria. Note that a detailed “After-Action Report” from any prior grant(s) is required to be considered for a new grant. An emphasis is placed on meaningful information on the local impact of your event/initiative as well as details on the makeup of your visitor/attendee.
**Note that the TCTDA, through their Transylvania Always Initiative, is interested in efforts to take care of Transylvania County’s natural resources in order to create a safe and enjoyable user experience and ensure that these assets are here for future generations. If you have an event or initiative that does not meet the criteria of the Tourism Grant Program but does align with the Transylvania Always mission, please contact Mary Jo Gordon at 828-884-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
ELIGIBILITY AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- The primary benefit of the event/initiative must be to Transylvania County.
- Applications will be accepted from non-profit and for-profit organizations.
- Only one request per event/initiative may be made each calendar year.
- An organization or agency may apply for more than one grant within the calendar year as long as each grant application is for different events/initiatives.
- A minimum of 20% of the project costs must be provided from other funding sources (i.e. the applicant and/or other partners). In-kind donations do not apply.
- Grant funds must be used within one year of the award date.
- Appropriate TCTDA support credit must be included in all applicable areas.
Grant requests may be made for up to a maximum of $3,000. The TCTDA may award an amount less than is requested. Once a grant is awarded, funding may be requested by contacting MJ Gordon for a brief review, which will cover the following:
- Is the event/initiative planning substantially underway?
- Has/will TCT be included in all appropriate promotions associated with the event/initiative?
- Confirmation of contact information for dispersal of the check.
The TCTDA must receive appropriate partnership credit on ads, promotional material, and press releases. The TCTDA will provide digital logo(s) and should be referred to as the Transylvania County Tourism Development Authority. Proof must be provided of any of the above-mentioned items prior to creation or printing to ensure that placement, size, etc. is appropriate and to make sure that the background does not render the logo illegible.
By completing this application you are acknowledging that you will submit an after-action report within 60 days of the conclusion of your event/initiative. Failure to provide the after-action report will disqualify the applicant from future grant considerations.
Grants are reviewed by a committee as they are received. Applications must be submitted well in advance of any marketing and promotion associated with your event/initiative to ensure appropriate partnership credit is provided. Applicants have up to one year to complete the event/initiative and/or request awarded funds.
To be considered for grant funding, a completed application should be provided to the TCTDA, 175 East Main Street, Brevard, NC 28712, or digitally to email@example.com. Any questions about the TCTDA Tourism Grant Program should be directed to MJ Gordon at 828-884-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DOWNLOAD THE TOURISM GRANT PROGRAM APPLICATION BELOW
As part of its mission, the TCTDA annually sets aside funds for grants and sponsorships. Local businesses, civic groups, and individuals can apply for the funds to help support their tourism-oriented events and programs.