Treasure hunters have been searching for gems for centuries, but true rock hounds know that Western North Carolina is the place to go for geological diversity. These old mountains of ours are home to close to 40 gems and minerals such as sapphires, garnets, rubies and emeralds. Come test your luck and see what kind of treasure you can find!
Didn’t pack your flume?
For those of you who don’t want to get your hands so dirty, gem mining locations make it easy to find treasures. Here’s a list of gem mines right here in Transylvania County:
- Bear Tracks, 828-862-8992
- Crystal Mountain Gem Mine, 828-877-4700
- Log Cabin, 828-966-4273
- Mountain Treasures, 828-966-4334
- Pisgah Forest Gem Mine, 828-367-8330
- Whitewater Equestrian Center, 828-966-9646